Children are naturally curious and are great imitators. They can easily be influenced by what they see on mass media, such as using guns. So, it’s crucial to teach children about gun safety as soon as they show interest in it.
As a responsible gun owner and adult, teach children the importance of proper gun usage and safety to promote discipline early and for them to carry it through adulthood. Once your child reaches 21, then he can apply for a VA concealed carry permit, and you’re more confident to entrust such powerful weapon for his personal safety.
This article will cover the best ways to teach your children about gun safety:
- Guns Aren’t Toys
Guns aren’t for fun. You shouldn’t allow a contrary idea to be implanted on your children’s minds. Teach them that guns, knives, and similar weapons aren’t toys as these take a trained adult to carry. Tell them that these are meant for defense in times of threatening attacks and not relentlessly used to get rid of people you hate or who insulted you verbally.
- Guns Are Tools
Teach your children that guns aren’t ordinary tools like those you use for carpentry or woodwork. Tell your child that guns are tools used for:
- Law Enforcement: Police, soldiers, and persons under authority are the ones who use guns to enforce the law. They use these with discipline and not for bragging purposes or to cause fear and violence to civilians.
- Responsible Hunting: Surely, you’re proud of your hunting skills and want to impart them to your son early to activate passion for this manly hobby. Implement the love for hunting at home by teaching your child how he should perceive the use of a gun.
- Self-Defense: Training is required to be licensed to carry and use guns. Civilians use this weapon to defend themselves against the bad guys as a last resort.
- Don’t Touch Any Gun
Some guns may look like toys, and many children assume it’s fine to touch these as long as they don’t point the guns at other people. Small pistols may look like toys, and your children might be curious and would want to touch and hold them. Without your permission, tell your children not to touch any gun they see at home or anywhere outside your premises.
- Leave When They See A Gun
Gun safety programs have been created to promote child education about guns and parental responsible ownership. These programs provide important tips, such as children should leave immediately when they see a gun.
The presence of a gun can risk your child’s safety, whether it’s unattended or in someone else’s hands. Teach your children to leave the place immediately if they see any gun to avoid jeopardizing their safety.
- Report To An Adult
Teach your children that if they see a gun anywhere, like in school or any public or private places, to report the incident to an adult. Other children might find the unattended gun and play with it because they thought it’s only a toy, risking other people’s lives, especially when the gun is loaded.
Teach your children to report the presence of an unattended gun or when a gun is being held by a minor as soon as possible. They can report it to their parents, teachers, security guards, or any adult in authority or whom they trust.
- Guns Are Dangerous
Gun violence is everywhere and very hot in the news. This is one thing that your children need to learn from you. Not all adults can carry a gun. Training and certification are necessary to obtain the gun license because guns are very dangerous when they land on wrong people’s hands.
Unlike with toy guns when the person shot gets up and laughs afterwards, real guns are very dangerous. Teach your children that even one shot can kill a person and bring the shooter to so much self-blaming and imprisonment in the case of accident shooting due to mishandling of a loaded gun.
Tell your kids that guns are dangerous because:
- The gun powder and metal components cause great harm.
- Bullets can penetrate the body organs and cause bleeding and organ damage.
- Guns can cause death instantly.
- Children lack the knowledge, skills, and level of maturity to handle guns.
Avoid your children being misguided about guns by educating them early. False information can be detrimental to how your children perceive guns. Teaching your children early about the basic rules they need to keep in mind when seeing and using guns is crucial for their safety and good upbringing.