Extracted during cheese production, whey is a byproduct of cow’s milk. Cows carry about 20% of the protein in the milk, which makes it a popular alternative protein source among people who want to lose weight.
Yes, protein is great for improving and building muscles, but it is terrific for weight loss, too. This is because of some effects that the nutrient brings to the body. And you can conveniently enjoy these perks when complementing your diet with whey.
1. It helps you control your appetite.
Whey protein is great for curbing your appetite and cravings easily. This is because whey protein spikes the level of satiety or the appetite-reducing hormones in your body.
Remember that carbohydrates do the opposite since it easily makes you feel hungry. So, when you eat more protein and less carbs, you’d eventually eat less. In addition, it would help in curbing your cravings, so you’d feel it is unnecessary to grab snacks between meals.
Consuming whey in a powdered shake form makes it easy to take more protein for such purpose and will be helpful in losing weight.
2. It helps your body burn more calorie each day.
Whey is also efficient in burning more calories from the body.
It is because protein largely helps in kicking up your metabolic rate. This works all throughout the day even while you sleep. However, this effect is observed to begin the day you consume whey, especially during and after daily exercise routines.
3. It keeps your body on good shape while losing weight.
Losing weight often causes undesirable effects on the body. Two of these are muscle loss and metabolic rate decrease.
However, remember that protein is a popular nutrient for building body muscles. So, you can confidently burn excess weight while keeping or improving the health of your muscles. That goes for whey as well, since it carries all the nine essential amino acids that your body needs.
Furthermore, as stated above, protein helps in boosting your metabolic rate, which means you don’t need to worry about metabolic slowdown, too.
Properly using Whey Protein for Weight Loss
Whey protein helps lose weight. One of the special factors about whey is that you don’t need to apply other dietary restrictions while taking advantage of it. Say, you don’t need to stay away from carbohydrates, since protein would eventually gear you towards lesser carb consumption.
And it is even easier with the help of whey supplements.
However, you still need to remember a few important notes to enjoy these benefits fully.
- Ideally, you should consume about 1.5 to 2.2 grams of protein for each kilogram of your body mass. So when you are 50 kg, for example, consuming around 75 to 110 grams of protein each day is great. Thus, you must know the different types of whey protein products, as well as the amount of protein they offer to fulfil your body’s demands.
- Aside from protein shakes and supplements, consider other sources of protein as well, such as meat, legumes, eggs, dairy products, etc. This helps you make the most benefits from protein for your weight loss program.
- Consider spreading out protein-rich food to all the meals you eat in a day. However, studies show that eating more protein during breakfast helps you stay away from cravings easier.
Whey protein is surely terrific for your body, but it is also a big help for losing weight! It is perfect for burning and curbing calorie intake simultaneously.